Sunday, February 25, 2024

The Retired Consultant

 


I happened across this old post on approaching retirement today and reread it. Of course, I am biased but it holds up well.  It contains information about psychiatrists retiring that you will not see anywhere else – including why we are happy.  I currently spend much of my day doing the usual chores, exercising, and writing.  I have several writing projects going and am near completing one that is unique.

I don’t get out much and I like it that way. I am an introvert and have been subjected to the usual jokes about introversion.  The pandemic was a factor but not the only one.  I just got back from working out in a gym that has Cybex machines.  After that I went to Target to pick up a supply of blueberries and frozen burritos.   

On the way out – I stopped to get a mocha and 2 biscottis.  The barista was young and we talked about the closing time of the coffee shop relative to the store. I associated to what I was doing at that age.  I was a janitor in a dormitory. It was a thankless job.  Luckily with increasing college experience I was able to move on to more technical work as a lab and research assistant.  I wondered if she would reflect on her work as a barista when she got to be my age and I sincerely hoped she would get to my age and beyond.  I thought about writing a poem about that brief encounter, probably because I had just read two Emily Dickinson poems and have a history of writing free verse in the style of ee cummings.

On the drive home, public radio was playing election coverage from South Carolina.  It was the GOP primary and I shut it off. I always have public radio in the background – but listening to this is just too much.  I drove, drank my mocha and crunched on my biscotti in silence. I had some thoughts about biscotti.  A competitor has a much harder biscotti.  It is so hard the almonds are cut sharply with the slices.  The biscotti I was eating was not as hard but still had an almond and vanilla crunchy taste.

I started thinking about a paper I was writing. Even though it was about rhetoric, it seemed quite exciting.  I have not encountered any papers like it.  I thought about where it should be submitted and how I should modify the introduction. One of the most insightful and informative books I have read lately was about rhetoric. It tied together so many things.  The author was gracious enough to respond to two of my emails.  I need to incorporate more of his concepts into the paper – but his book is encyclopedic.

I thought about some advice I had given lately.  Even though I am retired and people know it – they still call me.  I tell them that technically I am not treating them or directly giving them medical advice because we do not have a physician patient relationship, I don’t have a working office setting or records, and I don’t have malpractice coverage.  They understand that and it doesn’t deter them.  I am licensed and recently contacted the Board of Medical Practice about continuing medical education (CME) credit reporting this summer. The pandemic created a lot of confusion about deferred CME reporting.  I need to report 75 credits and I currently have 74 with a 6 CME credit conference in March. I wonder how long I will keep that up in retirement.

On the home stretch, I think about the advice I have given people over the years.  The qualified advice on the system over the past 2 years tells me how bad things have gotten.  Parents calling me about their adult children who are not doing well.  Adult children calling me about parents who are not doing well.  The occasional email directly from a person who is dissatisfied with treatment. Many calls about what happens in emergency situations.  Many calls about what specific diagnoses, imaging findings, and labs really mean.  Was the emergency department trying to talk me out of being admitted? Why wasn’t I treated with anything?  It just seems like I sat there a long time, nothing happened, and they sent me home.  Are these side effects that I am getting from this medication and what can be done about it?  Are there any resources out there that can help me? I don’t seem to be getting any help?

I try to help people negotiate available systems and help them prioritize what should happen first.  There is a general reluctance to call their clinic or doctor and report that there are potential side effects. Overall, there is a lack of help for people with psychiatric disorders. I know that is not strictly true and that there are many large systems of psychiatric care nearby – but even when people get in - there is difficulty getting what they need. I shock them with basic information about when to call their doctor and what might be helpful to discuss.  I never second guess their doctor.  I am focused on how to help them get the answers they need.  It is not at all like practicing psychiatry.  The most valuable product of that work is a patient who feels understood at the end of the session. None of the people calling me feel understood at even a superficial level.

Just a few years ago, I was an insider working in an intense hospital environment. I was generally feeling the stress all day long. I had the physical manifestations of that stress that were measurable – but I pushed through every day and made it home to unwind.  In some cases I could not unwind and ended up calling my nursing staff at 2AM to make sure that things were going OK.  I think about that right after thinking that I should still be working – just based on all these systems problems that people are telling me about.

I come to the realization that I can’t do it anymore. Cognitively and technically it is certainly not a problem. I have no doubts that my diagnostic and treatment skills are still there. Physically it is an interesting story.  I just lifted plenty of weights and will lift more tomorrow.  My aerobic capacity is very good. I have posted some of my chronic health problems here on this blog to illustrate diagnostic, pathophysiology, and treatment concepts. So generally my health is pretty good.  That can always turn on a dime.  I can’t work anymore because of the stress response.  The mental and emotional demands of work become physical demands and that creates significant problems. Doctors reading this in those environments know what I am talking about and I wish them the best because I know nobody is trying to alleviate any of that pressure.  Nobody is trying to help them.

I finish off my mocha and biscotti as I am pulling into the driveway. It is 7PM and dark out here in Minnesota.  I had over 30 years of pulling in my driveway in the dark after work and still feeling tense and in some cases jumpy about what happened that day.  Things are different now.  I can decide how much pressure I am under and when I can unwind. I wish I could do more for all these people who need help – but I can’t. 

It is time to finally take care of myself.

 

George Dawson, MD, DFAPA


Supplementary:

@dahlle on Twitter read this post and posted the NASA Task Load Index - a workload measure that has been validated across a number of settings.  Just looking at the scales - it is easy to see how physicians can max out almost every scale except for the physical demands (at least for non-surgeons).  With enough stress - heart rate and blood pressure increase just like you are running.  

It is also an illustration of how things can get rapidly complicated when there are people actively standing in your way and other people demanding that you do more.  Work setting is critical here as well as adaptation to work.  I have talked with hospitalists who told me their cognitive performance dropped off steeply on day 6 (of 7).  On the other hand I have talked to physicians who were used to seeing 30 patients for a minute or two at a time in an afternoon who were not stressed at all. 


At least one study has established a dose response relationship between physician task load using this scale and burnout:

Harry E, Sinsky C, Dyrbye LN, Makowski MS, Trockel M, Tutty M, Carlasare LE, West CP, Shanafelt TD. Physician Task Load and the Risk of Burnout Among US Physicians in a National Survey. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2021 Feb;47(2):76-85. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjq.2020.09.011. 


Graphics Credit:

Biscotti is via Wikimedia Commons.  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Biscotti_1.jpg

Mokkie, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons



6 comments:

  1. This is the best damn essay I've read about retirement since I turned in my badge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George, I have been there. After years of working in toxic environments and reporting to sociopathic tyrants I literally hit the wall. I thought I was done. I could not have gotten up to go to work if someone held a gun to my head. I thought I was retired. The problem was that I really didn’t enjoy the idea of retirement and it was very much ego-dystonic.

    It took almost 2 years to “recover.” I dipped my toe in the water by accepting a fractional position in a different healthcare industry and it has since become a full-time role. I love it. I still have my chops but the difference is that I am working in a healthy culture with great supportive people and a boss whose leadership style and personality are ideal. I’m not experiencing stress and I look forward to working everyday. I’m no longer thinking about retirement for the first time in decades. I love using my skills to help others, having my contributions valued by others, and deriving both satisfaction and a boost in self-esteem. Isn’t that what work should be about?

    I do think people have significant differences in resilience. I consider myself a survivor of sorts but did come to realize there is a tipping point for everyone. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on that transition! The two year mark seems like a critical juncture. I have friends who start thinking in earnest about going back at that time. I recently talked with one of my professors who is still working in his late 80s. I agree with you 100% that work can be stimulating and very satisfying in a non-toxic environment, but they seem rare. After talking with people every day, all day long for 35 years I felt I was in the zone and could talk with anyone, accurately describe their problem, and come up with a treatment plan. It doesn't get much better than that...

      Delete
  3. George, fine piece. I love good writing; I wish I could do the same. I retried in 1997, did 3 years covering a VA service, and finally quit. Now I am too busy trying balance my checkbook monthly and doing lots of politics. The latter keeps me in touch many brilliant colleagues. I'm trying to hand off pushing legislation for which I was responsible getting it introduced, but I am physically too old to "do rounds" seeing senators and Representatives--that is what gets things heard. Having no luck so far. The person i thought could do the work is capable, but monomaniacal about his own more grandiose schemes.
    So now that you are retired, how about doing my rounds at the capitol! Yeah, I know, ouch!
    You have done great work. Retirement means that you will never be done! Good luck and stay in touch! Bob Geist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I appreciate the offer but my personality is not really compatible with talking to a lot of politicians. Or even a couple of politicians for that matter. I have started to focus my efforts on getting some publication in the literature, something I really failed to do early on. I agree that will probably be never ending.

      Delete